Do you know that you can see Egypt’s Great Pyramids from The Citadel in Cairo?
Except for those who have been there, not many people know that the Great Pyramids of Egypt are actually just outside Cairo. It’s in a town called Giza and very accessible to public transport, too.
Before going there, I had this visuals that I had to travel an hour or two outside Egypt to reach the desert where the Pyramids are built. But, when I started to do my own research, I was surprised that it’s just there and I didn’t have to worry about getting there. In fact, I stayed just right across the Sphinx, that famous half-human, half-animal statue and guardian of the Pyramids.
View of the Pyramids from The Citadel in Cairo
When I visited The Citadel on a searing afternoon heat, I didn’t even expect that I’d be seeing the Pyramids from one of it’s terraces. Or perhaps, I was too lucky that I was able to see it on that beautiful day, despite a bit of a smog that covered the city.
I waited a bit longer for the smog to clear up until my point and shoot camera can finally capture it from afar.
From the terrace of The Citadel, one can see the sprawling metropolis that is Cairo. Its busy streets are visible and the sounds of prayers from surroundings mosques are heard.
In mid-March, however, the heat is just unbearable – and my only refuge was my hat. Though the place is huge, it was very crowded, too.
I think it’s better to visit in the morning when bus tours and school excursionists aren’t there yet. Once they arrive and the sun gets hotter, the place quickly changes into a Cairo that you’ve always known: crowded, sticky hot and polluted.
OH, THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!
- Photos of People Climbing the Great Pyramids of Giza
- Photos: Inside the Red Pyramid in Cairo
- Video: This is What You’ll See Inside the Red Pyramid in Egypt
- From Downtown Cairo to the Pyramids by Public Transport
- A Look Inside the Egyptian Museum in Cairo
- View of Cairo Skyline from Hilton Ramesis Hotel
- How To Explore The Pyramids of Egypt On Foot
- Scams and Annoyances in Egypt
- Light and Sound Show at the Pyramids
- Cairo Graffiti – Windows to a Troubled Egypt
- Cairo Skyline from The Citadel
- Sphinx Guest House – Room with a view of the Pyramids
PLEASE SHARE THIS:
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Share on Skype (Opens in new window)