To step back in time at Barri Gotic, you better be here early in the morning when the narrow streets are empty. When the Gothic Quarter is deserted, you can really feel like you’re time-traveling. From the cold cobbled stones on tapered paths to the sharp spires above, visitors are enchanted by the sheer magnificence of Gothic architecture.
Here are some important places to check out to step back in time at Barri Gotic.
Barcelona Cathedral. Make sure you’re properly dressed because they won’t allow people to go inside in shorts or mini skirts and in flip flops. Prepare to be blown away by the grandiose interior of complex designs and elaborate carvings.
Carrer del Bisbe. This richly-decorated short bridge is a sight to behold. Stop and strike a pose here.
Pass under the bridge and you’ll see this tiny statues looking down at you.
Look up to these murals. I really have no idea what this is but I remember it’s on the left side of Calle Bisbe (facing the bridge above). As you can tell, the mural is, no doubt, of Roman origin.
In front of the murals, there’s a small but tranquil garden with an ancient fountain.
La Placa Sant Jaume. This square has the city hall and the provincial government building.
La Placa del Rei. This area used to be the most important square of Old Barcelona. It is said that it was here where Columbus was welcomed after his triumphant return from a long trip. He came here to report his findings to King Ferdinand.
In ancient Roman times, birds were kept in Roman temples because they’re used for ceremonial reasons.
Wander along narrow streets. You’ll always find something interesting.
There are also many cafes and restaurants around here. If you have time, explore the neighbouring La Rambla.
Be aware that La Rambla and Barri Gotic are the top two places in Barcelona where pickpockets are common. So, mind your belongings when strolling around the area.
Related: Things to do in Barcelona
OH, THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!
- Casa Batllo – The House of Bones
- 10 Interesting Facts About Sagrada Familia
- The Majestic Arc de Triomf in Barcelona
- There’s a Rainbow Tunnel Inside the Sagrada Familia
- Barcelona from the top of Sagrada Familia
- Take a Peek of Catalan Art at MNAC
- The Hideout of the Robinhood of Madrid
- Video – Things to See and Do in Salamanca
- Montreal: Notre Dame Basilica at Night
- Chocolateria de San Gines – Where Churros Taste Good
- A Look Inside The Splendid Royal Palace of Madrid
- Inside Avila Cathedral – The First Gothic Cathedral in Spain
PLEASE SHARE THIS:
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Share on Skype (Opens in new window)