In Sarnath, Buddha preached his first sermon to his followers. Right after he attained Nirvana under a Bodhi Tree in Bodh Gaya, he traveled to Sarnath to preach. That sermon he gave became the central belief of Buddhism: The Four Noble Truths and the Eight-fold Path.
Today, Sarnath is synonymous to Siddhartha Gautama Buddha.
There’s a humongous stupa in the place where he used to sit and preach.
This stupa is the most preserved in the area and it towers over the land where temples once stood.
The surrounding area still carries the ruins of the Buddhist Temples of ancient yore.
While the ruins aren’t that impressive, you’ll still find carved statues that speak of its time. Take your time in exploring the place. Sit on one of the benches there or under the trees.
The stupa itself is decorated with patterns, flowers, humans and animals.
If you’re a devout Buddhist, Sarnath is one of the ‘Holy Places” every pilgrim dreams of visiting.
Sarnath is just less than an hour away from from Varanasi. The terrible traffic would make your trip longer than expected. Take a Uber for a comfortable ride. It’s not that expensive, too.
You can stay here in less than an hour. When you exit, don’t forget to drop by the Thai Buddhist Temple and Sarnath Archaeological Museum. You can’t miss them. Both are just outside the gate.
OH, THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!
- The Burning of the Dead on the Banks of Ganges River in Varanasi is not for the Faint-Hearted
- Ganga Aarti at Dashashwamedh Ghat – A Hindu Ritual by the Ganges River
- What Morning Looks Like at Ganges River in Varanasi
- Jantar Mantar in Jaipur – Where You’ll Find the Largest Stone Sundial in the World
- Taj Mahal – The Monument of Love
- Jal Mahal is a Dream-like Water Palace in Jaipur
- Amer Fort – A Palace Perched on a Hill in Jaipur
- The Beautiful Jama Masjid in Fatehpur Sikri
- Sheesh Mahal – The Flickering Palace of Mirrors in Jaipur
- Isa Khan Tomb – An Asylum of Paradise
- Interesting Facts About Agra Fort
- I Wasn’t Allowed to Bring my Rainbow Wig Inside the Taj Mahal
PLEASE SHARE THIS:
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Share on Skype (Opens in new window)