The Fallen Angel statue at Retiro Park in Madrid is something you should never skip when you’re exploring this beautiful greenery.
Yes, you read the title right. Perhaps, this is the only prominent statue in the world that “honors” the devil himself. When the city government of Madrid decided to install this statue into a public area, it created a controversy. And why not? No one likes Lucifer, right? 😉
The Fallen Angel statue is inspired from John Milton’s Paradise Lost.
What makes this sculpture one great work of art is its dramatic expression.
If you look closer, you can really see the intense appeal of Satan’s fall from heaven.
The sculpture sits on top of a monument wrapped with snakes and lizards.
On the bottom part of the monument are gargoyles that spit out the water fountain.
And yes, it’s true – the monument rises 666 meters above sea level. That’s creepy, right?
The Fallen Angel Sculpture was designed by Ricardo Bellver in 1877.
Where to find the Fallen Angel Statue:
The statue is at the roundabout of three intersections inside Retiro Park: Paseo de Cuba, Paseo de Uruguay and Paseo del Duque de Fernan Nuñez.
It took me some time to find the statue but good thing I had google maps with me.
In Spanish, it’s called, Fuente del Ángel Caído.
OH, THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!
- Madrid Sunset from Terrazas Circulo Las Bellas Artes
- The Inside and Outside Beauty of Cibeles Palace
- Madrid Pride Parade 2016 – Madrid Orgullo Manifestacion
- Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas – Where to Watch Bullfight in Madrid
- The Grand Staircase at Palacio Real
- Things to do at El Retiro Park
- Botin Restaurant – The Oldest in the World
- MADO 2016 – Carrera de Tacones
- Don Quixote Tapestry at Palacio Real
- The Hideout of the Robinhood of Madrid
- Chocolateria de San Gines – Where Churros Taste Good
- Photos: All the Food at Mercado de San Miguel
PLEASE SHARE THIS:
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Share on Skype (Opens in new window)