Imagine 283 Barack Obamas standing on top of the other—that’s how tall Willis Tower is! It’s 442 meters high and currently the tallest building in the United States. It takes 60 seconds to the 103rd floor on an elevator that sways while it goes up. On a clear day, this towering structure can be seen as far as Wisconsin and Indiana.
There are 25,000 people who visit this everyday and queueing up for the elevator can take up to 45 minutes to an hour. But, if you are a CITY PASS holder, it takes about 20-25 minutes, which is already pretty an agonizing wait for me.
The main attraction that drives tourists to go up there is its all-glass observation deck which they call as the SkyDeck Ledge. It’s pretty scary for someone who is not used to heights and it may give him vertigo. Standing on the glass deck, one could see the buildings below him and all the way down to the narrow streets. Though I love heights, I still had the feeling of being scared when I stepped on the glass which looks thinner than my glass window at home. It didn’t take me more than 5 seconds to be comfortable with the glass deck though. I reached for my bag and pulled out my rainbow wig. I wore it in front of others who were amused at what I was doing.
This photo cost me $33 for the print and digital copy. I had to do this because it’s the only way to take the best photo. The line was just too long and crowded at the other decks and it’s annoying to have other people you don’t know in your photographs as unnecessary background. Though it would be easy to ask someone to photograph me and I’d photograph them, I’m sure I wouldn’t like the way they’d do it. LOL…
I’m sooooooo disappointed with the digital copy they emailed me. It contains a massive, ugliest, orange watermark which can be removed if you hire someone to photoshop it. Or, you can crop it just like what I did. But, it’s just not the same though. So, don’t do it if you expect the way I did.
Here’s the view from Willis Tower.
Our very own CN Tower in Toronto is, of course, taller than Willis. 😉
Click this for more THINGS TO DO IN CHICAGO.
OH, THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!
- Chicago Skyline from Porter Airlines
- Chicago Segway and Architecture Tour
- The Legacy of Frank Lloyd Wright
- Chicago Skyline at Night
- Shedd Aquarium – Where A School of Fish Swims in a Tiny Water Tank
- Outside Chicago – Baha’i House of Worship
- Field Museum – A Time Capsule
- Gangster Tour – A Bang Up Time in Chicago
- My Reflections on Chicago’s THE BEAN
- Chicago – Pilsen Graffiti
- Chicago Underground Tour
- Chicago Arts Institute – 12 Arts To See
PLEASE SHARE THIS:
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Share on Skype (Opens in new window)