Alcatraz Island in San Francisco (California) is home to the notorious criminals in the past. These are criminals who were wanted by the country’s police system for breaking the law not one but more. They’re known to be feared and had a reputation that could equal that of Hollywood A-listers today.
As you can see, Alcatraz Island is “The Rock” surrounded by the waters of San Francisco Bay. It was a military and federal prison until 1963.
Famous prisoners include: Al Capone, George “Machine Gun” Kelly, “Alvin “Creepy” Karpis, Arthur “Doc” barker, etc…
The Native American Indians used to call it as the “Evil Island.”
Originally, the island was named as “Island of the Pelicans” due to, well, a large number of pelicans that occupied the island. Today, the pelicans are still there but in lesser number.
If you want to visit Alcatraz island, you must go on a tour where you can also buy the tickets. Book it a month or two in advance.
Don’t be like me who was so naive to book the tour ticket two weeks before I flew to California. of course, I didn’t get an entry ticket.
OH, THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!
- Hopping on the Cable Cars in San Francisco
- The Crookedest Street in the World?
- The Murals in Mission District
- The Surfers in La Jolla
- Hollywood Bus Tour
- The Kiss That Celebrates The End of World War 2
- The Owl from Harry Potter
- Where to see San Francisco Skyline
- Biking The Golden Gate Bridge
- Things to do in Santa Monica Pier
- The Grandeur of the Palace of Fine Arts
- The Movie Star I Met in Chinatown
PLEASE SHARE THIS:
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Share on Skype (Opens in new window)